This summarises the results of the 2012 Epica awards:
- Three of the top four awards went to countries that had never previously won an Epica grand prix.
- The film Epica d'Or was won by M2Film, Aahus, for the Midttrafik commercial, "The Bus". The film was scripted by Thomas Falkenberg and directed by Marc Wilkins. This was the first time an Epica grand prix has gone to Denmark.
- The press Epica d'Or went to DDB Helsinki for their McDonalds's "Large Coffee" campaign. This was also the first time an Epica grand prix has gone to Finland.
- The outdoor Epica d'Or was won by DLKW Lowe, London, for the Microloan Foundation's "Pennies for Life" operation.
- The interactive Epica d'Or went to Leo Burnett Detroit for their work in defence of the Troy Public Library entitled "Book Burning Party"; a first-time Epica grand prix for the USA.
- The award for integrated campaigns was won by DDB Stockholm for their Swedish Armed Forces recruitment campaign, "Who Cares?".
- Germany topped the country rankings with a total of 66 awards, including 9 gold winners.
- DDB was the most successful agency network with 8 gold and a grand prix from 7 different countries.
- Epica went global in 2012 and received 3,900 entries from 649 companies in 62 countries.
- The awards ceremony will take place on January 25th, 2013 at the Cankarjev Dom Culture & Congress Centre in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Epica’s first international jury met this year, with marketing journalists attending from as far afield as India, Russia and Turkey. The entries themselves were equally exotic: the Philippines, Argentina, New Zealand, Nigeria…we can state without fear of contradiction that Epica’s global outreach was a success.
We were also pleased to announce our first ever Grand Prix from the United States, for a highly emotive campaign that saved a library. In fact, it seemed as though our big jury chose a big-hearted selection of winners: an operation to help women in Africa start their own businesses, an epic plea for the benefits of taking the bus; even the press winner featured a giant cup of coffee.
Looking through the results, you’ll see a strong bias towards great storytelling, humour and universal human truths. In other words, the timeless ingredients of great advertising.
Epica 2012 Results Epica 2012 grand prix & gold winners Epica 2012 silver & bronze winners